MIDLAND WR300 Weather Radio Review
WR-300 is definitely the best of the Midland weather radios to date. I have used many radios having the S.A.M.E technology and I wasn’t really satisfied with any of them. However when I bought the Midland WR-300 weather radio I was really happy with its functionality and its features. The radio comes along with an AC power adapter and an owner’s manual. The best thing about this unit is that it offers the S.A.M.E technology that is the specific area message encoding technology. This technology pre-programs your radio to receive only those warnings that apply to your local area. This way you get to choose the state, county and the nearby counties as well. Therefore it allows you to receive warnings and alerts for your area which is very convenient.
- The WR-300 will provide you with instant weather information which is directly taken from the National Weather Service and Environment Canada. The single speaker radio also offers 23 programmable county codes, alarm functions, AM/FM tuning, time, date and it also automatically switches from AM/FM to relevant hazard alerts. The radio has a user selectable warning system that includes a 90 dB siren alarm, visual LED flasher or voice alert. The radio also contains the phase lock look technology for tuning purposes. It also has an easy to read blue backlit LCD screen. The LCD display is very sharp looking. The radio also contains a menu feature that will allow you to continuously keep the blue backlight on.
- The WR-300 radio also contains a 10-alert memory and this way you get to add, edit or remove any unwanted alerts at any time. The WR-300 also has an event expiration indicator. This way when an alert has expired, it shows the “EXP” sign. For power supply you can either use the supplied AC power adapter or four AA batteries. One of the best features of this radio is that it will allow you to disable the audible alerts for every warning except for the life threatening ones like a biological hazard warning or a tornado warning. Other radios only allow you to disable the harmless events which can be a bit bothersome. This is why I really like this weather radio as I won’t be alerted unless there is actually a tornado warning.
Another thing that I like about this device is its extensive audible alert disable ability. I also like the fact that it is very small and doesn’t occupy too much space. Another good thing about this device is that it uses 4-AA batteries instead of a 9v transistor battery. Even with all these plus points it still has some negatives points. I didn’t really like the fact that the radio produces a beeping sound for every key press. They could have added a softer clinking sound instead which would have been better! Also there is no visual indication as to whether the master audible alert is enabled or disabled. Apart from this it works just find and I would highly recommend this product!
- Extensive audible alert disable ability
- Relatively small size
- Sharp and easy to read blue backlit display
- Uses 4-AA battery backup instead of a 9v transistor
- AM/FM/clock/alarm features
- No visual indication of the master audible alert being enabled or disabled.
- Produces a beeping sound for every key press